Knitting is such a wonderful hobby…though some of you may want to throw daggers at my use of the word “hobby” as it may be a lifestyle, therapy, community, work…
What ever it is to you, it can always be MORE!
Your knitting can be inspiration to others. Folks in your knitting group may “Ooh!” and “Ahh!” over your creation.
The LYS owner may cringe in frustration with you as you have to rip out 11 rows…but luckily that class she taught on lifelines that you attended, so ripping out is so much less of a headache.
Maybe you knit at the local coffee shoppe and nobody else does, but doggone if they aren’t your biggest fan! “HOW do you do THAT? Hey guys! Come look at what he (she) made!” Love from non-knitters is a beautiful thing, and don’t be fooled in to thinking non-knitters do not appreciate this super power…they do!
But share, share, share my friend!
And one very easy way to do that is in pictures! Pictures connect us quickly, no matter what language we speak, no matter what fiber we use!
If you have a smart phone, have you tried Instagram? It is, in essence a Show and Tell time. A picture is captured on your phone, you small ever it as you add a phrase describing it (and a hashtag like #withmeldotcom to help folks sort through things quickly) and then you simply share it.
The photo at the top of this page I am sharing on Instagram and twitter today. It will take 3 to 5 seconds to share it and countless people will say What A Cutie! They may lean over to the person beside them and let them have a peek. If they spin, they may start to ask me fleece questions in the comment section. If they knit they will now see a face of the fleece donor representing so many others that make their hobby possible.
Sharing this simple picture brings a bunch of us a bit closer in our community. They squeals going up about this fleecy friend are nothing like the Hoorahs! you feel sent your way when you post your first sock image or progress on the sweater knit out of handspun…or your very first dishcloth! Yes, knitters do want to cheer you on!
You simply need to share!
If you are interested now in sharing on Instagram, but don’t know where to start:
- You will need a smart phone that can take pictures and connect on-line
- You can also use you iPad or tablet if it has a camera and on-line capabilities
- Download the free Instagram App by heading to the links below for helpful information :
FOR iPhones (Mac devices)
==>>Need something else? Simply google Instagram and “Your Type of Phone Name”
- Make a clever user name for yourself. Lots of knitters use their Ravelry ID or their blogging name. Whatever you decide write it down in a safe place with your password too!
- Find a few friends to follow! Following lets you see pictures those people share. There are many neat people to follow and you simply need to click the follow button on their profile. (the profile simply shares a bit of info about yourself or that person. When creating yours perhaps use 5 words that sum up your awesome personality or knitting ninja skills!)
- Find me and say aloha! I am @MSkiKnits. If you look to the sidebar you may see some images I have posted recently, as well as a quick link to connect us!
Once you get on Instagram let me know! I will be sharing some simple things this month to make Instagram even more fun that it already is! (and it is! it really is!) So start with getting on Instagram today, look around, make yourself at home and see if you notice and inspiring pictures. You may find Instagram causes Cast-On-itis….but we will cover that another time!