Let’s get on with things shall we? This will seem like something you have done before 😉
Begin by grabbing a different yarn weight to use. You will repeat each of the steps before that you did in the first exercise for this new base.
- Grab a set of needles recommended for this yarn (look at the ball band for some helpful guidance)
- Cast on approx. 6 inches worth of stitches. For example if the band suggest on size US 8 needles that you will have 5 sts per inch, cast on 30.
- Immediately begin in stockinette and knit enough rows so that prior to a soak and block your piece measures 6 inches.
- Take a deep breath and repeat the above 3 steps a second time. Remember, I have goodies and treats to award you in class for this hard work!
Next: Respond to the swatch.
- What do you like about it?
- What do you notice?
Last: Finish strong
- Soak and block one swatch but not the other.
- Measure each and record information about each. St count, row count, differences between the two
- Make a label for each. I use little round tabs from the hardware store that I can write info on. Simply make a note of it being Play Thing #1 of Sweater Guide #1—let us not demean their position in life by referring to them as merely swatches!
Be sure to record your ideas and observances as you work!